Just about everything tastes better grilled… from breads, vegetables, seafood and meats to fruits and desserts. Outdoor entertaining is great fun if you have a sufficiently large open space…barbecues and grills, the flavor of charcoal permeating the food enjoyed with mugs of chilled beer or wine; especially if the weather is great.
Do not worry if you do not have great open spaces or a charcoal /electric/gas fired barbecue. You can still have all the fun and enjoy it by grilling on a grill pan. This is exactly what we do when we want to enjoy grilled food at short notice. We do have a portable barbecue set which we do use sometimes but my grill pan gives excellent results that are just as good.
Look at these beautifully grilled veggies! Don’t they look lovely with the grill marks? The pure vegetarians can now enjoy themselves with these fantastic grilled veggies. Believe me, this is so very delicious! I just had to share this recipe with you. Just go ahead and get grilling! Meat lovers will vouch for it as well… 🙂
- 6 med. Zucchini Courgettes (washed & cut 5 cm x 5 cm pieces)
- 3 med. Red Onions (peeled & cut into 6 wedges)
- 9 Assorted Bell Peppers (deseed, remove pith & cut into 5 cm x 5 cm pieces)
- Wooden Skewers as needed (soaked in water for about 2 hrs )
- Olive Oil to brush & coat
- BBQ Spice rub to taste
- Freshly ground Black Pepper to sprinkle as needed
Ingredients for the BBQ Spice Rub :
- 60 gm Salt
- 60 gm. Ground Black Pepper
- 60 gm. Cayenne pwd. (optional)
- 5 gm. Red Chilli pwd./Kashmiri Chilli pwd.
- A large pinch of dried Thyme
To prepare the Spice Rub :
Mix all the above mentioned ingredients together. Set aside till ready to use.
Assembling & Grilling the Zucchini Brochettes :
Place the vegetables on the skewers in this order – zucchini, onion, pepper and again alternate in the same order.
Rub the brochettes with a little olive oil.
Sprinkle the salt, black pepper and a generous amount of the prepared BBQ spice rub evenly on the brochettes.
Grill the brochettes over medium heat for approximately 8 minutes on each side or until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
Serve over mixed vegetable rice.