Marzipan is a favorite & popular Goan sweet made especially for Christmas. It can be moulded easily into all sort of shapes using rubber or plastic moulds which are easily available in the stores.
You may even use your artistic talent & utilize your creativity to shape them into fruits & paint on them using edible colors & a paint brush. Let the shapes rest for 3 to 4 hours before painting as the surface needs to seal well so that the color does not seep through. After painting it needs to dry well so that the colors do not run. Use light feathery strokes to paint on the shaped fruit.
Marzipan is so delicious & tasty that you cannot be satisfied with just a piece or two.. It looks very attractive & dainty when served. Your family & friends will surely relish this lovely Christmas delicacy.. I suggest that you try this wonderful recipe this Christmas & enjoy every bit of it! 😀
- 200 gms Cashew nuts
- 400 gms Sugar (finely powdered)
- 2 Egg Whites
- ½ cup Rosewater
- Food Color as desired
Grind cashewnuts to a fine powder & soak with rose water for about 15 mins.
Grind cashewnuts to a fine paste.
Lightly whisk the egg whites.
In a thick bottomed pan, combine cashewnut paste, sugar, whisked egg whites; mix well. (I used a pressure cooker without the lid).
Place the pan on a low fire; keep stirring continuously.
Make sure that the mix does not stick to the bottom of the pan & does not burn.
Cook till mixture thickens & starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Pour out the mixture in a plate & muscle with a spoon/spatula till the mixture cools down.
When cool, muscle again using some rose water sparingly.
Knead till it forms a pliable smooth & soft dough. Keep aside to rest for awhile.
You should be able to mould it easily.
Divide into balls if using color. (I divided it into four parts).
Add color as desired.
Use a rubber or plastic moulds to shape them.
You may even shape them into fruits if you like.
Place the moulded pieces on a tray.
Let it dry & then store in an airtight container.
Serve & enjoy at Christmas.
Tips & Variations :
- Select cashew nuts which will not release oil.
- You may use blanched almonds instead of cashew nuts if you like.
- Many prepare the marzipan dough without cooking the mixture but I prefer cooked mixture.
- Use color sparingly. Keep colors pale.
- To add color use a dropper or a tooth pick. Put the desired color on a plate or saucer. Use your finger to lightly dip in the color. Spread on the dough ball & knead till the color is well incorporated in the dough.
- Remember pale colors makes marzipan look pretty!
- Use basic edible colors to make other colors in case you need to..
Red + Blue = Purple
Blue + Yellow = Green
A hint of Red will give you Pink