Rustic and full of flavor this delectable Chicken/Murg Handi is so succulent. Like many who love this dish, we are no exception. There are many good restaurants in Pune who prepare this dish really well.
Making an almost authentic, traditional Murg handi at home is an experience to be savored. It turns out well cooked in a clay pot over wood fire as the smoke gets infused in the gravy. But I cooked it in a clay pot on the gas stove and it turned out fabulous! It turns out equally good if cooked in a brass/copper pot.
How about trying out this rustic, uniquely flavored and deliciously mouth watering Murg Handi? We enjoyed this dish with phulkas and jeera rice. This dish can be relished with any tandoori flatbreads, chapattis, phulkas, steamed rice, pulao or jeera rice. 😀
- 500 gms. Boneless Chicken ( washed & cut into pieces)
- 2 med. Onions (peeled, chopped, boiled & make paste)
- 1 onion (peeled & roughly chopped)
- 3 med. fresh Red Tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 tbsp. fresh Ginger (peeled & grated)/paste
- 1 tsp. fresh Garlic paste
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli pwd.
- 1 tbsp. Coriander pwd.
- 1 tbsp. roasted Cumin pwd.
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper pwd.
- 1 tbsp. dessicated dry Coconut paste(optional)
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric pwd.
- 1 tsp. Kasuri Methi pwd. (dry Fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala pwd.
- 1 tbsp. Maida (All Purpose Flour) (optional)
- 2 tbsps. fresh Cream (optional)
- 2 tbsps. whipped curds/yoghurt
- 3 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
In a sufficiently large handi/pot; preferably a clay pot, heat oil till hot.
Add chopped onions and fry till lightly golden. Set aside to cool. Crush the cooled onions and reserve to be used later.
Add chicken pieces to the same pot and sauté with ginger-garlic, turmeric pwd., red chilli pwd. for about 5 mins.
Add in the tomato puree and cook till it turns into a sauce consistency.
Then add in the reserved fried onions, onion paste, coriander pwd., curds/yoghurt, black pepper pwd., garam masala pwd., roasted cumin pwd.
Give it a good stir; cover and cook further 2 mins.
Then mix in the coconut paste and let it cook for another 5 mins.
Once done, add kasuri methi, flour, cream and give it a good stir once again.
Adjust the thickness of the gravy by either adding some chicken stock, water or milk.
Adjust salt to taste.
For the Tempering :
- 2 tbsps. Butter/Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 tsp. Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala pwd.
- For the Garnishing :
- 1 tbsp. Ginger (julienned)
- 2 tbsps. freshly chopped Coriander
Sprinkle garam masala powder on the prepared hot chicken/murg handi.
Then heat butter and oil in a tempering pan till hot.
Pour this on the prepared hot chicken handi.
Top with some julienned ginger, coriander and place the lid. Cook for another 2 mins. on a very low flame.
Just before serving give it a good stir.
Garnish with julienned ginger, slit green chillies, fresh coriander.