This is a very delicious & mouth watering prawn preparation. As the name suggests, these wonderfully spiced prawns are stir fried with Indian spices in a kadhai or wok.
In ancient times metal or clay pots, pans & woks were used for cooking. The whole process of cooking took place on raw coal, charcoal, clay or wood fired ovens & stoves. Now we want to get back to the old process of cooking utensils & ways of cooking & baking as we realize the quality of flavors are much better.
Modern techniques do save a lot of time but do not help in bringing out the authentic flavors. To re-create the original flavors we are returning back to the old ways to try & bring the authentic flavors we missed, back to our dining table.
Cooking in a copper, brass or iron kadhai/wok imparts a special flavor & gives a new dimension to the dish. Today’s post is simple, quick, fragrant & spicy. The addition of refreshing green bell peppers & onions brings in the crunch & color to the dish. Come let us enjoy this delightful, lip smacking & spicy Prawn Kadhai! … 😀
- 500 gms. Fresh King or Tiger Prawns (washed, peeled, deveined)
- 2 Green Bell Peppers (Capsicum) diced
- 1 small Onion (peeled , quartered & flaked)
- 2 med. red Tomatoes (blanched, peeled & deseeded)
- 3 fresh Green Chillies (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp. fresh Garlic paste
- ½ tbsp. fresh Ginger paste
- 2 tbsps. Lime juice
- ½ tsp. Turmeric pwd.
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli pwd. (preferably Kashmiri)
- 1 tsp. dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala pwd.
- A pinch of Sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
Dry roast separately & blend together in a masala grinder into a fine powder the following ingredients :
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Peppercorns
Marinate the prawns with ginger-garlic paste & a pinch of salt for about 10 mins.
Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a kadhai/wok till hot; add the marinated prawns & sauté till they turn lightly pink.
Drain & transfer the fried prawns to a bowl to be used later.
In the same wok/kadhai heat the remaining 3 tbsps. of oil.
Add green chillies, chopped tomatoes, a pinch of sugar & salt.
Fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
Next add turmeric pwd., red chilli powder, the roasted & powdered dry spice mix, kasuri methi & sauté till the rawness disappears.
Add in the flaked onions & capsicum & sauté till lightly cooked.
Add the reserved fried prawns & cook on med. flame for about 5-8 mins.
Add garam masala pwd., coriander leaves & give it a good stir.
Turn off the heat & let the prawn kadhai rest for a few mins. to allow the flavors to be absorbed.
Before serving, add lime juice & stir once.
Serve hot with your favorite Indian bread or as a side with your favorite rice preparation.
Tips & Variations :
- Use white prawns preferably.
- Do not overcook prawns or they will turn tough & rubbery.
- You may retain the tails of the prawns as per your preference.
- Adjust spice according to taste. I prefer Kashmiri as they are milder & rich in color.