I have been down & out since the last 3 days with flu & to add to this my neighbour on the top floor is renovating his flat. I am unable to get any rest during the day. It is annoying with all the hammering, drilling & all sorts of noises associated with renovation. My head is heavy with the noise & the cold I’m suffering from & I’m finding it difficult battling the runny nose. My fever has subsided but I am feeling very weak. My bones are aching & this piercing pain in my ribs & my chest is not any better with this irritating cough. The table on the side of my bed is cluttered with an assortment of medication, throat soothers & balms. My tongue is bland & so I’m busy having either Rasam or Soups to comfort me. I was longing to have something spicy & tangy to pep up my taste buds & so I had Kande Pohe not only for breakfast but at tea time too. I had Surmai Fish Curry & Surmai Fish Fry for lunch. Kande Pohe is one dish which I can enjoy at anytime of the day. I just love it & this is real comfort food for me. It is sooooo simple & super quick . I could fix this up in a jiffy even though I am not feeling fit & fine. The right amount of spice & the zing of the tomato in this lovely dish not only made my day but I had it my way… So here’s my authentic Puneri Kande Pohe just for you …
· 2 cups Pohe (flattened thick rice flakes)
· 2 med. Onions (finely chopped)
· 1 med. Tomato (chopped or sliced finely)
· 3 fresh Green Chillies
· 3 sprigs Curry leaves (Kadipatta)
· 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
· 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
· A pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
· ½ tsp. Turmeric pwd.
· 3 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
· ¼ tsp. Sugar (or to taste)
· Salt to taste
· Chopped Coriander leaves
· Finely chopped raw onions (optional)
· Grated Coconut (fresh or dry)
· Wedges of fresh Lime
Clean the dry pohe & quickly wash the pohe & drain using a colander or through a big strainer & keep aside.
Heat oil in a wok on med. heat.
When the oil is hot reduce heat & add green chillies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric pwd., curry leaves, a pinch of hing & stir.
Now add chopped onions & cook till translucent.
Then add chopped tomatoes & cook till it softens completely.
Add sugar & the pohe & stir quickly on med. heat.
Add salt to taste & a tablespoon of coriander leaves & stir till it cooks for about 5 mins.
Keep stirring from time to time. In case it is dry then sprinkle water sparingly just to moisten a little.
Squeeze fresh lime juice & give a nice stir.
Serve hot garnished with grated coconut & coriander leaves.
Alternatively, you can serve grated coconut, finely chopped onions, lime wedges separately.
I love my Kande Pohe with potatoes but very reluctantly I avoid adding potatoes because my hubby & sons do not want me to have it due to health reasons. But sometimes I just cannot resist those lovely potatoes !!! In case you want to add potatoes then the choice is as below :
· Boil & peel potatoes. Dice them as you wish & add to the wok before adding the pohe.
· Peel raw potatoes, dice them as desired & rinse them in water to remove excess starch & drain completely. Add the potatoes before adding the onions. While frying the potatoes in the wok add a little salt so the potatoes will cook & soften quickly.
· You can add unsalted peanuts or green peas if you so desire. Add it before adding the onions so that it gets sufficient time to cook.
· According to spice tolerance, use green chillies…Some green chillies; the dark green variety are very hot & some are very mild. Discard seeds if you are light on spice.
· If desired; blanch tomatoes, peel, cut in half, discard seeds & then chop or slice finely.